Saturday, August 22, 2015

Week 89: Spotless In His Eyes


Song Of Solomon 4:7

7You are all fair, my love, and there is no spot in you.

Jesus tells us His bride, “You are all fair, My love, and there is no spot in you.” But our reply to Him tends to be, “Me? All fair and no spot? You don’t know me, Lord!”

I remember when I was a young christian, I had this idea from the Leviticus law in the Old Testament that whenever I sinned against God, I should exclude myself from God. All was well and good that I read my bible. I had this consciousness that God is holy and I was not worthy to come near Him when I sinned. Just like Peter when he caught a load sinking of fishes under Jesus's direction, the first thing he did was he knee down before the Lord and said "Depart from me for I am a sinful man!"


Luke 5:5-8

5 But Simon answered and said to Him, “Master, we have toiled all night and caught nothing; nevertheless at Your word I will let down the net.” 6 And when they had done this, they caught a great number of fish, and their net was breaking. 7 So they signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink. 8 When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!”

Peter was sin-conscious and he knew he was not worthy of God's blessing. He rather stayed far away from God. Back then, I felt the same, I rather stayed far away from God. I felt "dirty" and stain of sin prevented me from lifting my eyes before God. I rather get my acts right before I come to God's presence again. So, my christian's life was a series of jumping in and out relationship with God. That erroneous thinking had robbed me for many years and painted in me of a God who is a tough Master!

Do we really think that God doesn’t know us and is a tough Master? Does God really want a jump in-and-out relationship with Him? If He want that kind of relationship, Jesus is not required to come to this earth for us!

In reality, God sees us like no one else sees it. He sees the perfection in us! How can it be? This is because of His Son’s finished work at the cross! By one offering of Himself at the cross, Jesus has perfected us forever!

Hebrews 10:12-16

12 But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God, 13 from that time waiting till His enemies are made His footstool. 14 For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.

15 But the Holy Spirit also witnesses to us; for after He had said before,

16 “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them,” 17 then He adds, “Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.” 18 Now where there is remission of these, there is no longer an offering for sin.

We have been made the righteousness of God in Christ. And we will never find any spot in this righteousness that Jesus died to give us. Thank you, Jesus!

2 Corinthians 5:21

21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

The truth is God wants us to see ourselves righteous — all fair and spotless in Christ. Every day, let's be conscious of our righteousness in Christ. Proclaim “I am the righteousness of God in Christ. There is no spot in me whom He has perfected with His blood.” When we do that, we are honoring Jesus and His finished work. When we honor Him, miracles happen. The favor of God is upon us! Hallelujah!

On the contrary, if we are conscious of our sins, we are not honoring the work of Christ. Back then, I thought I was being humble or holy by being sin-conscious. But do you know that the Bible calls sin-consciousness an “evil conscience”?


Hebrews 10:19–22

19 Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh, 21 and having a High Priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 

Since we have Jesus as our High Priest, “let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience”. What does it mean by “an evil conscience”?

If we read the beginning of the same chapter, we will find that "evil conscience" is referring to “consciousness of sins”.

Hebrews 10:1-4

For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect. 2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? For the worshipers, once purified, would have had no more consciousness of sins. 3 But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. 4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.

The scripture clearly state that "no more consciousness of sins". Because the sacrifice was not the blood of bulls and goats, it was the blood of our Lord, Jesus. In the Old testament, the priest required to made offering continually year after year, because the blood offered then was just a shadow of good things to come. It was a precursor of what the ultimate sacrifice would be avail to all mankind!

Back then, they cannot ceased offering. The blood of bulls and goats were not perfect. Not any more when Jesus came and sacrified once and for all for ALL our sins! Hallelujah!

If we believe that Jesus's sacrifice is perfect on the cross, how should we carry our posture as  believers? We should come boldly before the throne of grace!

Hebrews 4:16

Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

The key word to this verse is "come", not "go". We "go" when we are sin-conscious. We "come boldly" when we are Christ-conscious. Amen!

So don’t carry with us an evil conscience. Our lifetime of sins have already been punished fully in the body of Jesus at the cross. Be conscious, instead, of our perfection and righteousness in Christ. Because of what Jesus has done for us, we can boldly declare, “I am all fair. There is no spot in me! I may fall at time, but God still see me perfect in Christ!"

When we continue to honor Christ and His sacrifice for us and focus continually His righteousness in us, sin will loose its power over us. Bondages will be broken and bad habits will loose its grip effortlessly over our lives. His glory will manifest in us and through us for we are crowned with the unmerited favor and blessing of God. Amen! Hallelujah!

Grace and peace be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment